There is a statistic I read that success in business is only 20% strategy… the other 80% is your psychology. This means your mindset, your self-belief and your self-talk are more important to your success than how well you actually put makeup on people’s faces. Do you tell yourself things that empower you? Or do you tune into the chitter-chatter of negativity?
While the exact percentages may not be 80:20, I totally believe that your mindset or psychology has a big impact on whether or not you will be successful. And for that reason, I like to combine my business strategy tips, with mindset shift tips too. (And interestingly, the blog and Facebook posts I do about MINDSET seem to strike a chord with many more artists, at least if the “likes” and comments are anything to go by.)
A lot of the time when artists come to me for business strategy advice, we end up discussing their mindset, as they report it’s the lack of confidence and self-doubt that is holding them back from achieving all they want, and until we have that sorted out, all the strategy advice in the world may not help.
Mindset struggles and feelings of anxiety affect us all. I am certainly not immune! Every time I go to hit “Go Live” on Facebook I go through that internal battle, “what if nobody tunes in? What if people think I’m stupid?” I just allow myself to Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway. Earlier this week I had a couple of days where my mind just wasn’t right, and sometimes when we get those feelings it can be easy to spiral downwards.
So what’s the best way to deal with those feelings? How can you ensure that your mindset is right so that you’re set up for success?
I always try to remind myself of the quote “What you focus on expands”, and I know that I need to be focussing on what I can control, and everything that could possibly go RIGHT, rather than all that stuff that is out of my control.
The main tip I would like to share today relates to Gratitude. You have probably heard about the power of thinking about all the things you can be grateful for. Gratitude is amazing. Really successful people are grateful people, and many of them talk about keeping a gratitude journal where they will write down some of the things they are grateful for each day.
My meditation teacher Kenneth Soares says “At times when you are not feeling abundant, you can simply choose to think of all the things you are grateful for and that retunes your frequency to the vibration of abundance, and that will bring more abundance into our lives.”
Now, I know that talk of vibration and law of attraction may be a little to “woo-woo” for some of you, and you may be tempted to click that X now. Believe me, for a LONG time, I thought the same way. Just stay with me here…
I invite you to try this, just for a week. Everytime you notice negative thoughts or feelings creeping in, or you start comparing yourself to another artist who has more followers, books more work or whatever, picture a big STOP sign, and then switch your focus and think of a few of the things that you can be grateful for.
Recently I have started to take this concept of Gratitude one step further. They say that the quality of your life depends on the quality of the questions you ask yourself on a daily basis. The question I have started asking myself around GRATITUDE is “How can I honour that which I am grateful for?” So, when I think of something that I am grateful for, I also think about how I can honour that, or how I can show my gratitude.
For example: “I am grateful for my strong, healthy body, and I HONOUR that by eating healthy and exercising every day.” (OK, so maybe this one is a work in progress, but the INTENTION is there!!)
Something more related to my career as a makeup artist: “I am grateful for my loyal clients and I HONOUR them by providing the best possible service that I can to them.” Then I will focus on HOW I can provide the best possible service, keeping my kit clean, listening to what THEY want, asking questions throughout the makeup application, following up after the job etc etc.
So think about some of the things that you are grateful for and ask that empowering question. It’s not just enough to pay lip service to gratitude, its important to really FEEL that gratitude, and what it means to you.
When you focus on the things that you DO have, and that you ARE grateful for, you’ll notice that you start to feel better right away. It’s true that the emotions of fear and gratitude can’t exist at the same time. And the really interesting thing is, that when you start to live like this, more good things come into your life.
But you know, don’t just take my word for it… try it out for yourself… and let me know how you go.